High school band students are an inquisitive bunch, and they often have a lot of questions about music, band practice, and performances. Some of these questions can be a bit awkward or tricky to answer, but it’s important to provide accurate information to help students become better musicians. Here are 50 awkward questions from high school band students, along with some tips on how to answer them.
Questions About Playing an Instrument
- Why do my fingers hurt when I play my instrument?
- How do I stop my instrument from squeaking?
- Is it normal to feel dizzy after playing a wind instrument?
- How do I hold my instrument correctly?
- How do I know if I’m playing the right note?
- Can I practice too much?
- How do I get better at playing fast?
Questions About Practice and Rehearsal
- How many hours should I practice each day?
- Can I practice without my instrument?
- How do I stay motivated to practice?
- What’s the best way to warm up before practice?
- How can I improve my sight-reading skills?
- How can I improve my intonation?
- How can I improve my tone quality?
- How can I improve my rhythm?
Questions About Performances
- How do I deal with stage fright?
- What should I wear during a performance?
- How do I prepare for a performance?
- How do I deal with mistakes during a performance?
- How do I recover from a bad performance?
- How do I deal with a difficult conductor?
- How do I deal with difficult bandmates?
Questions About Music Theory
- What is a time signature?
- What are sharps and flats?
- What is a key signature?
- What is a chord?
- What is a scale?
- What is a rest?
- What is a slur?
- What is a tie?
Questions About Instruments and Equipment
- What is the difference between a trumpet and a cornet?
- What is the difference between a clarinet and a saxophone?
- What is the difference between a French horn and a mellophone?
- What is the best type of mouthpiece for my instrument?
- What is the best type of reed for my instrument?
- How often should I clean my instrument?
- How do I fix a sticky valve?
- How do I fix a broken reed?
Questions About Music Education
- Is it better to take private lessons or group lessons?
- How can I become a better musician outside of band class?
- How do I choose the right music school?
- How do I prepare for a music audition?
- What are some common music scholarships?
- How can I get involved in music competitions?
- How can I start playing in a band?
Questions About Music Careers
- What types of jobs can I get with a music degree?
- How much money can I make as a musician?
- What are the pros and cons of being a music teacher?
- How do I start my own music business?
- How do I become a successful musician?
Answering awkward questions from high school band students can be challenging, but it’s important to provide accurate information to help them become better musicians. Remember that even if something seems straight forward to you the student may have a completely different perspective or lack of a perspective entirely. By answering their questions, you can help them become more confident in their abilities and inspire them to pursue music as a possible career.